23 december 2009

About SMS (Sanders Magnificent Superpower)

If the Fantastic Four, or some other Superhero group has a job opertunity avaible, I think I'll apply. Why you ask? Well, I've recently discovered that I have super hero powers. They are not as straight forward or spectaculair as most super hero stuff, like X-ray eyes (I love your new bra, madame), or shooting laser beams out of your fingers (Ideal if you forgot your keys), even though that all sounds appealing. No, not at all. My power is a bit less radical, and actually a burden most of the times.

I am magnetic to paper.

You just put me in a random public place, and before you know it I have Free Postcards, Gallery invitations, Flyers, fancy designed advertisments, glossy Magazines, free newspapers, Stickers, Bussiness cards, Restaurant Menu's, Festival Booklets and what-even-more sticking to my hands. But I dont just take anything i find, no - my powers dont work on dirty napkins, toilet paper, packages, labels, giftwrapping paper and other things people generally classify as "Junk"
But any Full colour printwork done on 250gram glossy will do.

And once in my hands, they are hard to let go of. So I used to just fold them and stick them in my jacket, and the bigger magazines and flyers were carried by hand - all day long. But sometimes my superhero powers failed for a second, and then I drop all my collected printwork on the middle of the streets. So now, ill go out with a plastic shopping bag strapped to my arm, so all the stuff gets transported safely. Yeah, superheroes need to be smart - don't they?

But whats the use of this power, you'll ask? Well, I havent really figured out yet. I also have a weakness.
In my room, my hands seem to demagnetize, and I'll just drop everything in random spots. Once there, i sober up - and ask myself while looking at the newest pile of printwork "What on Earth I'm doing?!!" Most of the times i dont even read or look at everyhting. It feels like comming out of an hypnosis. So then I'll just get another (or the same) plastic bag, and try to throw it all out. Most of the times I manage to get rid of 50 percent i've collected - the other half is just too hard to throw away.
Gallery inventations and free magazines are the hardest ones to get rid of.

So yeah, isnt that something? I'm very proud of myself. The only thing i need to figure out before applying to any superhero group, is how this power could be any useful for saving the world. I mean, at the end of the day - that's when you can really call yourself a super hero. So uh...X-ray eyes are handy for spotting weapons, and laser-beam-shooting-fingers are good for killing bad guys....but hands that attract glossy printwork? I dont know yet...

Geen opmerkingen:

visit my portfolio website here