9 mei 2010

Remake? (You got like, 39 days left... so why not?)



I have the feeling to re-do this photograph for some time now.
I got this mounted on alluminium, and its hanging in my room (its huge!), It costed me a lot of money already..... but somehow Im not so comfortable with it anymore.

I had the image, someone stopped by a puddle of watter, in my head for over three years. I remember sitting in the bus, as I noticed a person at the bus stop, who wanted to step on the sidewalk, but was stopped by a big puddle of water. It was just a split second before he tried jumping over it - but somehow the whole scene had made a huge impact on me. So dramatic! We let our daily action stop for a moment because of some water! I thought about the image a lot, but it wasnt until Vancouver that I did this image.

However, the original atmosphere - outside parking, daylight - would probaby contribute more to the fact that the puddle is actually just water. Now there is some ambiguity over the puddle (it could be an oil leak or other car fluid) that pushes the image in the total wrong direction. Also the car is a bit to new and shiny - that people actually saw this more as an advertisment for Volkswagen, then something else. Also the parking lot has some eery, gloomy atmosphere - that I like - but I wanted something more depressing and mundane,....And finally, as a guest teacher stated last week - the pose, and thus the action, wasn't as familiar to a daily life situation as the guy with the broken pencil. Even though I find myself walking with great concentration when there are big puddles of water everywhere...

I dont know If it would help to redo this image (I redid the girl with the curtain THREE times, and im still not happy with it) But I still have 39 left (counting from tommorow). So now the question arises...Why not? But also... Why? it feels so useless !

EDIT: After writing this, I looked at the picture again - and I decided that I WILL redo this. Even if its only for myself. Call me crazy (please do, all good artist are) but I will figure out a way to make this image work.

Geen opmerkingen:

visit my portfolio website here